January 18, 2006

Aural Sex

I'm running out of things to say of late. Quite possibly because I'm all grows up now and spend most of my day in the office reading and writing about the fascinating world of Corporate law and governance. Which doens't really leave me a lot of time to be out in the world being taunted by idiots.
So in the interest of, um, filling up this space, a short list of what is in heavy rotation on my ipod of late. Why? Why not? I've already told you almost every little excrutiating detail about my life. Why not let you in on what is currently contributing to my premature hearing loss by being thumped through my headphones at unacceptably high decibel levels? Tomorrow: Dan's lunch menu!



1. Mariah Carey - Don't Forget About Us (Tony Moran Remix)
I used to hate Mariah. Until this album. When Mariah tells her ex-lover "I can see it in your eyes, you still want it...", there isn't a person alive who can't relate to catching that look from a former flame.

2. Mary J. Blige - Enough Cryin'

I heart Mary. Luuuurve. Especially when she's a bit pissed, as she is here about wasting time on a man who was never going to come around.

3. David Guetta - The World Is Mine (Fuck Me, I'm Famous Remix)
Huge in London. Had to ask Bradders for the artist and title no less than 6 times before I could remember. The reverberating electronic hook takes me immediately back to New Year at the Fridge.

4. The Freemasons - Love On My Mind
Tina Turner's lyrics from "When the Heartache is Over" dragged agross the hooks from Kim Wilde's "Shame". Pure disco candy.

5. Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes
I don't care if it's over a year old. I dare you to find a better pop-heartbreak-kissoff track.

6. Mary J. Blige and U2 - One
Mary took one of my favorite songs of all time and made it sound new again. "One, But not the same", indeed.

7. Damien Rice - Cannonball
While "The Blower's Daughter" will most likely always be the #1 most played song on my ipod, "Cannonball" is just as haunting, if not a bit less tragic. One of the best meditations on simply missing the little things about someone that I've ever heard.

8. Shakira - No
I can't understand a word she's saying. And I don't have to.

9. Rob Thomas - This is How a Heart Breaks (That Kid Chris Remix)
Makes you want to cry and dance at the same time, with a beat underneath it all that is just pure sex.

10. Remy Zero - Save Me
I know it's a WB theme song. But long before Smallville, Remy Zero was a great band. The song is desperate and hopeful all at once, acknowledging that even if everything is coming down around your ears, there may be someone coming to your rescue, as long as you scream loud enough for them to hear.

11. The Sweet Inspirations and Cissy Houston - Shake Yourself Loose (Dynamix & Haameyer Mix)
Whitney's Mama lets it rip, thowing her hands to Jesus and inviting everyone with problems to connect to God in the best way possible: "Lose your seat! Now move your feet!" You can almost picture her clutching a hankerchief and shaking convulsively. Or is that Whitney in withdrawal on any given afternoon ?

1 Comments:

Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

Mariah Carey recorded something good? It must be raining snowcones in Hades today. The thing I've always hated most about her, though, is that she has such an boring pop garbage -that and the gratuitous whale-song screeches in everything she does(rolls eyes).
I'll have to hear this for myself, now. I'm curious.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home