April 21, 2005

Do Unto Others




Ahem. *Dan Steps up onto Soapbox*
The New Pope. I didn't think things could get much worse than the Old Pope's new book. And then Da Ratz steps up to the mike. and we get a New Pope, one whose congregation blamed gay activists for anti-gay hate crimes, arguing that while such crimes are lamentable, "when civil legislation is introduced to protect behavior to which no one has any conceivable right [one should not be surprised when] irrational and violent reactions increase."

I'm sorry, could you repeat that? I had a little crazy in my ear.
Did a member of the Church (now the LEADER of the Church) say that the victims of hate crimes are to blame for the crimes committed against them? Did he condone violence against a certain group of people? Because it sounded an awful lot like it to me.
Just to review, if you will, Ratzy, were the Civil Rights Activists in 60's asking for the firehose treatment? I'm guessing the Hitler Youth in you thinks the Jews all but marched themselves into Auschwitz?
Not to play Devil's advocate (though I am a homo, and therefore I doubt God would have me as his advocate, fancy law degree or not), but what do you think about victims of rape? I'm guessing you're a big proponent of the whole "She was asking for it" defense.
I used to be mildly amused with the Catholic Church. I used to brush off their rejection of me and their contradictory principles regarding love and acceptance as antiquated and harmless, if not annoying.
But now I'm pissed. Condoning violence against people trying to gain rights? We're bringing it on ourselves? Anyone remember when Christians were persecuted? Did they bring that on themselves? Were the countless children abused by priests asking for it? Or perhaps were they the victims of a Church that treats homosexuals so badly and rains down such guilt, shame and rejection that these people are incapable of developing healthy sexual identies after not finding the answers they so desperately seek in a Church that promises Love but preaches Intolerance.
HEY! RATZY! Question for you.
What Would Jesus Do?

1 Comments:

Blogger A* said...

Sometimes I think I know how smart you are and then you raise the bar.
BRAVA petal!
*kneeling before sopabox in awe of Dan's IQ)*

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home