October 04, 2005

Muckraking


Is there any particular reason Drudge is so appalled by this?
Not to mention this "support" was waaaaaay back in 1989, when the world almost respected the United States and gay rights were almost (almost) ok to support without fear of being burned at the stake by one's fellow Victorians... I mean Conservatives. Conservatives. It kills me that Drudge considers himself such a "Journalist" when most of the items he flags as so important (noted by his ubiquitous "Spinning Red Light" - Note to Matty: Ever hear the story of the little boy who cried wolf? Seriously. Numb to the siren. When you apply the same siren to Michale Jackson's trial, Katrina coverage and a little self-loathing piece about Barabara Streisand (you closet-case asshat), it's a tad hard to get all stirred up whenever the little graphic is on screen, because we can't determine what is hard news, what's fluff, and what is the product of your unquenchable thirst for all things Babs cloaked in a need to mask it as hatred in order to satisfy your Republican masters) is usually spun so hard or so inaccurrate or misquoted that it becomes meaningless. Drudge doesn't report news. He takes real news, alters the headlines and stands back with a self-satisfied smirk.

Fuck You, Drudge. It must suck to hate yourself so much. But you're not alone. A lot of us hate you too.

I do a lot of bitching about the state of our country and government. And I'm certain that there are those of you out there who are thinking to yourselves "Who does this punkass think he is? All talk and no action? Stop whining!" OK, first and foremost, I'm a Liberal Democrat. Our motto is "All Talk and No Action!" We talked about putting it on our letterhead, but no one really got around to going to the printers.
But today is a new day, Bitches. A day when I can put my fancypants law degree to good use.
You see, my firm does an independent review of the Supreme Court nominees. Remember when Roberts was found out to have worked on gay rights cases? That came from our investigation. His statements to the effect "Next thing you know women will be wanting equal pay"? Also ours.
And this time I'm joining the team to investigate Ms. Miers.

Because we know nothing about her except that she's 60, thinks W is "brilliant" (dear lord, she's retarded), has never sat on a bench, and is an eyeliner enthusiast and part time Estelle Getty impersonator.
Because I think at this point we can be relatively certain how Roberts is going to swing, so Miers is a pretty key player all of a sudden.
Because it's important to me, and I'm tired of feeling powerless against the Right and there ridiculous standards of moral superiority, their cronyism, their complete lack of justification in their actions, and their complete lack of responsibility.
Because when a memo surfaces proving that Harriet Miers is not only dangerously underqualified, but that George W. Bush ought to be run out of this country on a rail for even suggesting that she be appointed to the Supreme Judicial power in this nation, well, dammit, I want to be able to say
"I found that memo. I played a part in stopping the Conservative railroading of all that is good and decent in this country (because I believe that the level of lying, disregard for human decency and greed supported by this adminstration is a few county lines over from good and nowhere approaching decent). The people are not going to just let things happen any more. I'm not afraid of these idiots anymore. And as of today they'd better start becoming afraid of all the little people like me."

Or I could spend 3 days looking through her old phone records. Either way, its a flash of political idealism I haven't felt in a while. And it's a tad empowering. I think I'll go beat up someone on the Upper East Side.

3 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

This would explain why I was watching a Golden Girls rerun the other night and kept wanting to scream.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bring it, punk.

And get those idiots in Washington, too. Monsters.

And someone a) steal that woman's wet 'n wild cobalt eyelining pencil, and 2) hire her a fucking stylist. Cuz'...come on.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Dxx said...

Now Now, Hof.
I haev my wishes for what I'll find (A dead 13 year old male thai hooker in Cheney's trunk would be a good start), but don't misunderstand my impetus: I want to find out where she stands on ANYTHING, other than bangs.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home