May 26, 2005

Better Version of Me

I have an incredibly organized and type A friend. He's British, so I guess he's prone to it. It must pay off, because he affords an apartment for himself that costs more than twice what Sister and I pay together.
Anyways, this friend and I have a yearly New Years brunch, at which we plan out our year and make resolutions. This year, however, he got Serious. No longer content to just make promises like "Lose weight" or "Stop smoking" or "Be less of a whore" (His, not mine. I swear.), he decided we would break the year down into attainable goals in a spreadsheet. He then wrote a computer program to track our progress day by day against where we ought to be based on how many days had passed. I told you he was British.
I haven't been tracking the formula (I can't seem to get the swing of assigning points - how many points is it worth under my "Have a six pack by my birthday" resolution if I do 100 crunches every day, but then eat a whole jar of peanut butter? I'm a lawyer, not some kind of, uh, math guy).
But with the midpoint of the year approaching (coincidentally my birthday), I thought it might be a good idea to review my goals and see how I'm doing:
1) Learn Spanish - I've spent almost $100 on books to aid in the learning process, and Bartender continues to ambiguously text me Spanish vocabulary words. And yet all I can remember is how to say "I don't know" and "Lazy".
2) Read at least one real (not pop or chick lit) book a month - I'm in the middle of
Forever, I bought a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo. In February I read The Alchemist, The Trouble Boy, The Four Agreements and The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things. Also read Confessions of a Shopaholic and reread Bridget Jones' Diary (shut up). Want to help? Buy me something from my Wishlist. Consider it a Congratulations on being admitted to the bar gift. Or an early birthday gift.
3) Quit current job. Get a fulfilling and higher paid job - Done and done. OK, maybe not exactly more fulfilling, but I don't worry about paying the rent. Rawk.
4) Have a six pack by my birthday - I
fasted. I work out. I try to eat better, and I'm looking into a personal trainer, and, Um... Hey did anyone see the finale of Lost last night? That dude blew up! It was Awesome!
5) Limit clubbing to once a month - Erm. Seriously! Lost was Awesome! And then on Alias, when Nadia went all
28 Days Later. Actually, that sucked. I hate Alias now. Damn you J.J. Abrams. Damn. You. (I would have loved to post a photo of Nadia all red eyed and whatnot, but my evil Tech department has barred me from downloading the appropriate programs. Wah.)
There were other resolutions/goals, but I can't access the file because my computer is in the shop. I'm pretty sure it had to do with seeing things through to the end and finishing what I start. Whatever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home