July 07, 2005

Art Therapy

There's this little art gallery on the corner two blocks from my apartment. I've passed it every day for roughly 3 years and never given it much notice. I am not really much of an art person. Never have been.
Until last week, when Sister told me that she stopped by was informed that it is, in fact, a gallery solely devoted to exhibiting art created by the mentally ill.

Now I've looked at the work through the windows from time to time and have never been that impressed with it. But it becomes much more intriguing when you stop to consider what that the explanation behind that picture of a goat might be coming a photographer who is a few models short of a fashion show.
As if that wasn't enough to immediately turn me into a patron of the arts, it seems that each individual crazy person is allowed to work at the gallery for the duration of their showing.
When Sister told me this, I could actually feel my eyes grow wide with sick glee (Once again, see you all in hell.).
Sadly, none of the artists are dangerous.

Nothing a little pointed art criticism can't fix.

2 Comments:

Blogger A* said...

Oh we.are.so.there.

Next time it's open- call me.

9:42 PM  
Blogger MooCow said...

There's a art museum, somewhere over in Switzerland - I forget where exactly, that was 5 years ago - that does the same kind of thing. Nothing but art by crazy people, sometimes complete with an "artist's statement" or "doctor's evaluation."

And honestly I had a better time there than at all the fancy pants art galleries/museums put together.

I mean the Mona Lisa is cool and everything but compared to 200 charcoal drawings of people being eaten by dragons all done on paper towels, it's just some chick smiling.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home